Sunday, April 12, 2015

Reading



My goal hasn't been met, yet. However, I did read a book that wasn't in my piles of books. A friend mentioned she was reading Hold Me Closer, by David Levithan. She said it was magical, so I immediately got the e-book and began reading. It was a really quick read about a character named Tiny Cooper.

I read the whole book, and then went to post it on my Goodreads account when I discovered the book is a companion piece to Will Grayson Will Grayson, the novel by John Green and David Levithan. So, I read the companion book to a book I've never read. Yeah. I have noticed now that it's on the cover, but I read it as an eBook on my phone, so I never looked at the fine print.

Other than realizing too late that I didn't really know what was going on, my major issues with the book were mostly alleviated by that discovery. I didn't think the minor characters were very well developed. (I'm guessing the "minor" characters are probably the main characters in WGWG. It seemed a little too singularly focused on Tiny Cooper, and some of what I thought would have made great plot points, were glossed over. I'm not sure if those plot points are resolved in WGWG, but knowing that this was just to help the minor character from WGWG become a bit more rounded changed how I felt about the lack of resolution.

The only flaw I really saw after that, was that the songs were a bit flat and static. It was a bit too rhymey. But, as Tiny pointed out, I can't fault him too much, it's only his first musical.

All in all, this was a fun quick read, but you probably want to read Will Grayson Will Grayson before reading it.

BEDA Tracker:
4/1/15   4/6/15  4/11/15
4/2/15   4/7/15  4/12/15
4/3/15   4/8/15
4/4/15   4/9/15
4/5/15  4/10/15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need to add an image? Use this code [img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]